New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Web Owner
Forum Admin

Australia
147 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2005 :  04:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just posted this report under the link "What is a Pathfinder" and would be interested in any feedback on its contents especially from ex serving members of the Squadron.

The only faults I can see initially is that it states that the members of the force were not all volunteers?

The "Golden Eagle" it refers to I gather is the Pathfinder Badge?

Regards

Robin

Gurton
Pilot Officer

4 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  17:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Whoever told you that was correct. Many PFF crews were "Drafted", straight from OTUs or HCUs especially if they looked promising.

Go to Top of Page

bob.osborne
Pilot Officer

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  13:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just been compiling the Service history of one of 156's Air Gunners. I actually included the German intelligence report as it was the best description of the Pathfinders that I could find. I also included the comments that on several occasions F/Sgt Collens did not receive the meticulous training that the Germans thought he was entitled to. For example he had been on No 156 Sqn Ops for some time before he was allowed to practice bombing Liverpool with H2S!

Not sure if I had done the right thing in including the Luftwaffe report, I was greatly cheered by reading Group Captain Hamish Mahadie's
book in which he quoted the report verbatim!

Edited by - bob.osborne on 27/08/2011 13:03:13
Go to Top of Page

Joe Harrison
Warrant Officer

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  18:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob.osborne

I have just been compiling the Service history of one of 156's Air Gunners. I actually included the German intelligence report as it was the best description of the Pathfinders that I could find. I also included the comments that on several occasions F/Sgt Collens did not receive the meticulous training that the Germans thought he was entitled to. For example he had been on No 156 Sqn Ops for some time before he was allowed to practice bombing Liverpool with H2S!

Not sure if I had done the right thing in including the Luftwaffe report, I was greatly cheered by reading Group Captain Hamish Mahadie's
book in which he quoted the report verbatim!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
156 Squadron © Robin Riley Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000