New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnbarnett255@gmail.com
Warrant Officer

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  13:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a small collection concerning Flt. Lieut. Arthur Colin Diemer,156 Squadron, known as Colin.

My mother (Beatrice) Joyce Barnett died 24th June 2012. My father was her second husband. Mum had previously been married to Colin on 5th August 1944. She had nursed him at the Royal Hospital Wolverhampton (I think, she had also nursed at Stratford) for sinusitis, a common complaint for aircrew she said. He was killed on 11th March 1945. I enclose pictures of some photos, and some letters and cards he sent her. On the back of the photo of the Wellington mum wrote "his favorite picture." She wrote on the back of the picture of him with his cap on "Last leave. Sunday February 25th 1945." She wrote on the back of the picture of him without the hat "Leave 1944 Newcastle-on-Tyne taken by dad Diemer", so it could have been taken on the same leave as he wrote the letter I have scanned. Mum told me that on the day of the funeral his mother was overcome, and so Joyce, as a nurse, stayed with her at her home and never managed to get to the service.
She left a note for me "No direct interest to you dear except to perhaps sell or give to some collector", but I find it all quite poignant. I have his medals which mum had sent her after she had re-married: the Battle of Britain 1939 - 45, the War Medal with oak leaf as he was mentioned in dispatches, the Defence Medal 1945, and the Aircrew Europe Star 1939 - 45. I have a number of other photos, a little poem "dedicated to B.J. Fenwich, who nursed me through death back to health again", 3 postcards and a birthday card from Colin to mum, his certificate of being mentioned in dispatches, his commemorative scroll, an "in memory" card, and a union flag, which I guess may have covered his coffin.I also have the wings off his uniform, with a note from mum "Colin, my darling love X".I have an accident report with the crew (all recorded as having died in the accident) is as follows - in the order given - F/L A C Diemer MD, F/O K L Pile DFM, F/L B C Brooker DFC & bar, F?L J Robertson DFM, F/O C A Robson, F/S D W Kidd and W/O S Oldfield.
I have tried in vain to contact his family, so think the best I can do is to put them in the public domain. If anyone can suggest a suitable place to lodge these items, or would like to see copies, I would be pleased to hear from them,

John Raymond Barnett

Jonny
Air Vice Marshall

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  04:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear John,

If you are looking to donate / lodge this wonderful collection of memorabilia, I would recommend contacting the Pathfinder Museum at RAF Wyton, near Huntingdon. There is a dedicated staff there who be delighted to add this collection to an already cracking little museum. The museum sits safely behind the wire at RAF Wyton (an active MOD site), and can be visited by appointment. It is also just down the road from the former 156 airfields of Warboys and Upwood. You can find out more at the following link:

https://raf-pathfinders.com/our-partners/pathfinder-collection-raf-wyton/

If you have any issues, please shout up as I have the contact details of the curator.

Kind rgds

Jonny
Go to Top of Page

johnbarnett255@gmail.com
Warrant Officer

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2019 :  09:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Jonny, I have been in touch and they would be delighted to receive the collection as they already have an exhibition abut the fatal crash. I have also scanned photos, documents etc for the Bomber Command Centre at Lincoln Uni who showed an interest but could not take items. So I am more optimistic that his story and that of the rest of the crew will be remembered,
Best wishes,
John

John Raymond Barnett
Go to Top of Page

Jonny
Air Vice Marshall

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2019 :  07:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

I am glad that it worked out for you. I'm sure it will prove to be a fitting tribute to a brave individual.

Kind rgds

Jonny
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
156 Squadron © Robin Riley Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000