New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicholas John Carter
Warrant Officer

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2007 :  15:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find out any information in relation to my Mum's cousin F/S Brinley Charles Hinks (Service No. 1074123) who was the Rear gunner in Lancaster III JA925 GT-La of 156 Squadron, shot down on 2nd January 1944.

I have obtained his war record details from the RAF Personnel and Training Command which were interesting but brief (there was a war war going on!). These show him undertaking pilot training in 1942 in Spitfires before retraining as an Air Gunner, details as follows:

Under Training Pilot 25 Jan 1942
Air Gunner 28 Oct 1942

7 Bomb & Gunnery School 25 Apr 1941
1416 Flight 28 Jul 1941
140 Squadron 1 Sep 1941
Aircrew Selection Centre Penarth 19 Jul 1942
2 Air Gunnery School 11 Sep 1942
30 Operational Training Unit 28 Oct 1942
199 Squadron 28 Apr 1943
1656 Conversion Unit 2 May 1943
156 Squadron 2 Jul 1943
Reported Missing 2 Jan 1944

If anyone can shed any more light on this family member then that would be brilliant.

Many thanks.

Nick Carter

sarah
Pilot Officer

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  12:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi nicholas,i hope you manage to get this reply as it has been a few months since you posted your query.it may interest you to know that my late fathers cousin flew on the same crew as your mothers cousin,his name was roland john bowen and he was flight engineer.he too was killed on jan 2nd 1944 in a raid over berlin along with the other crew members.i brought a really interesting book"they led the way"which is all about 156 sqd,i dont know if you have got it but it is well worth buying.please feel free to e-mail me we may be able to share our information,my address is justjanesarah@aol.com i recently visited runnymede memorial were they are all commemerated ifound all the crew names from ja925. looking forward to hesring from you,regards sarah
Go to Top of Page

lynne lewis
Warrant Officer

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  15:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Nick, Brin was my uncle, my mother is Doreen. we had a look through some old boxes tonight and found lots of things relating to Brin. Letters he wrote home, letters of condolence, loads of photos of girls!, a diary. my mother is going to send some to your mum and if I can get hold of a scanner I'll scan a lot in and send it to you, if you'd like. i know of your interest in Brin through your mum. As i wrote to your mum if you have anything you think we don't know we'd love to hear it. regards, lynne
Go to Top of Page

lynne lewis
Warrant Officer

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  15:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
should have included my email address. llew94@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Joodles
Warrant Officer

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2018 :  02:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

I am the niece of Pilot Officer Roland John Bowen, the flight engineer in Lancaster JA925. I know this is an old thread, I hope you all see this.

Nick, I know you kindly posted the accident report card to Air Crew Remembered in August 2017, which stated they crashed in the Dahlem area of Berlin. Thank you so much for sharing this. I have carried on researching my Uncle, and I recently received his RAF Casualty File from the MoD.

Post-war, captured German records confirmed they were shot down and crashed in the Dahlem area of Berlin on 2nd January 1944 at 03.05, and stated the old road name, Kiebitz weg. 6 of the 7 crew were found, and two were identified as Squadron Leader Fawcett and Flight Sergeant Hinks. However, no burial details had been recorded in any of the documentation, and despite searches, their remains were sadly never found.

Lynne and Sarah, I will email you this document. If anyone else would like to see this, please email me at markjudith@sky.com

With very best wishes
Judith

Edited by - Joodles on 05/04/2018 02:45:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
156 Squadron © Robin Riley Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000