156 Squadron Log
Award Date Citation / Reference Squadron
DFM  28/11/1944  JOINT COMMENDATION. From London Gazette
Distinguished Flying Cross.
Flying Officer Lindsay Northcote Beavis CANN (136936), R.A.F.V.R., 156 Sqn.

Distinguished Flying Medal.
1602488 Sergeant Raymond Victor FISHER, R.A.F.V.R., 156 Sqn.

This officer and airman were pilot and navigator of an aircraft detailed for an attack on an oil refinery at Sterkrade one day in October, 1944.

In the run-in the aircraft was heavily engaged by anti-aircraft fire. A shell exploded near the bomber and fragments smashed through the pilot's windscreen. Flying Officer Cann was struck in the arm and shoulder. Although bleeding profusely he continued his run.

Not until the target had been bombed did he seek assistance. Sergeant Fisher promptly dressed his captain's wounds and applied a tourniquet to his arm. He then removed his almost fainting comrade from the pilot's seat, took over the controls and afterward flew the aircraft back to this country. When nearing base, Flying Officer Cann, although very weak irom the loss of blood, took over the controls nad executed a perfect landing on the airfield. This officer set a fine example of courage and fortitude.

Sergeant Fisher also proved himself to be a valiant and resourceful member of aircraft crew and proved a tower of strength in a difficult situation.

Full commendation from Tavender's DFM Register.

L.G. 1/12/1944. Sorties 20, Flying hours 98.45. Navigator. Air2/9161.

Sergeant Fisher was Navigator of a Lancaster supporter aircraft detailed for a day attack on Sterkrade Oil Refinery on 6th October, 1944. During the bombing run, the aircraft was heavily engaged by heavy flak and the Captain wounded in the right arm and left shoulder.
On the Captain's instructions, bombs were dropped in the target area before the aircraft turned away. The Captain then called for a member of the crew to bandage his wounds and staunch the flow of blood.
Almost immediately after, the Flight Engineer abandoned the aircraft and was closely followed by the set operator. The Navigator then came forward and applied shell dressings wounds and also a tourniquet to the Captains right arm.
The Captain was then in a fainting condition and with the assistance of the Wireless Operator, Sergeant Fisher removed his Captain from the pilot's seat and took over control of the aircraft. The Lancaster was now down to 11,000 feet and the Captain, from the Navigator's seat, gave instructions to Fisher who turned the aircraft onto the course and maintained height.
Sergeant Fisher flew the aircraft so well and with such confidence that it was considered that the Captain should act as advisor and ocassionally as Engineer and reserve his strength for the landing at Base. Sergeant Fischer flew the aircraft back safely to within a few miles of Base and then handed over to his Captain at 2,000 ft. The aircraft made a perfect landing. It can be claimed that if it had not ben for Sergeant Fisher's coolness, initiative and devotion to duty and fine crew spirit, the remainder of the crew and the Lancaster might have been lost.

Sergeant Fisher has completed 20 operations and, apart from being a capable second pilot, is a reliable Navigator. An indication of his keenness to operate is that, during his Captain's absence in hospital, he volunteered to fly as a spare Navigator. I strongly recommend him for the immediate award of the Distinguised Flyiing Medal.

15th October, 1944.

Remarks by Station Commander.

Sergeant Fischer's coolness in the face of emergency saved the aircraft and the greater part of its crew. I consider he well deserves the award recommended.